Howto get an automatic Wifi connection?

Mike mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Thu May 1 07:00:47 UTC 2008

Patrick <fedora-list <at> puzzled.xs4all.nl> writes:

> > > I have a PC with F8 & a usb wifi dongle and I would like to configure
> > > the PC that when it boots it will automagically negotiate a WPA2/PSK
> > > 802.11g link with my Access Point and get an IP address from the DHCP
> > > server behind the AP.
> > >
> > > Since the PC boots into runlevel 3 I can not use NetworkManager. Instead

> That's good to know but doesn't really help configuring the current F8
> based setup. Any suggestions howto setup an automatic WPA2/PSK link to
> my Access Point?

I have been doing exactly this with three different laptops for quite a while.
I do not need Networkmanager at all.  I use wpa_supplicant which works like
a charm once set up properly.  The details of how I went over to this method
are given in my web page at:

http://www-users.york.ac.uk/~mdc1/fedora_wireless.html

I have one machine with ipw2200, another with iwl3945 and a third using
a usb wireless dongle. The key is making sure that the wireless drivers
are working first - then set up wpa_supplicant and then switch that on
during boot. I used WEP initially for tests and then went over to
WPA - you can set it up so it will auto connect to specified APs.

Hope this helps.