Fedora Desktop future- RedHat moves

David G. Mackay mackay_d at bellsouth.net
Thu May 1 15:03:10 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-05-01 at 11:47 +0930, Tim wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-05-01 at 11:35 +1000, Da Rock wrote:
> > But then, this is what the heart of this whole thread has been about:
> > legalities of linking different licenses. And Fedora and a minority of
> > users has taken a stand on one side of this issue. Will they
> > condescend to a level where an agreement can be reached?
>
> Sure.  The consensus if you want to do something illegal, use something
> else.  There's nothing stopping you from doing so, and there's plenty of
> "something elses" for you to use.

When the laws are inane enough, people will pretty much ignore them,
short of Draconian enforcement measures.  I regard the DMCA as some of
the finest legislation that money can buy.

The real fix is to change the laws, as someone already pointed out in
this thread.  That might not be as impossible as it first appears.  Just
a short time ago, there was a real danger that internet radio stations
would be shut down en masse by new royalties imposed by SoundExchange.
There was enough noise made by enough people that congress intervened.
Not, mind you, that they did more than the bare minimum, but they did
intervene.  The real trick here is to get enough people involved to
overcome the influence of the various lobbyists.

Dave