Remote Desktop on FC8

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Thu May 1 17:36:23 UTC 2008

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Mark Haney wrote:

>> Um, just for giggles, why not just export X over SSH? Is there a
>> reason that won't work for you?
>
> It's generally annoying to have your session killed when your connection
>  breaks for any reason.  Someone else suggested vncserver which will
> work but I'd recommend freenx with the NX client on the other end.
> Either of these will let you reconnect to running sessions.  Also note
> that these approaches aren't the same as desktop sharing since they run
> in different sessions than the console but that's not likely to matter
> on a headless box.

That's quite true, but the OP didn't really say exactly what their need
was, which is why I asked.  If they need something to get them a GUI and
want that setup automated, you can't get any more automated than X over
SSH, which IIRC comes enabled by default.  That eliminates the
'automated' need at that point.  That's the only reason I asked.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support