installing Fedora 9 on a laptop...

Jim mickeyboa at sbcglobal.net
Thu May 1 20:04:39 UTC 2008

Mike Chalmers wrote:
> I am am going to install F9, when it comes out, on a Toshiba Satellite
> U205-S5034. I had a few questions that I was hoping y'all could
> answer.
>
> - Will Fedora automatically install drivers for the touchpad at the
> beginning of the installation so that I can use it as a mouse during
> the installation?

You Should have no problems with mouse, keyboard
> - Should the touchpad work fine?

Yes !
> - Do I need to do anything about installing wireless drivers so that I
> can get internet access, or will Fedora take care of this for me?

That depends on what wireless card you have, Wireless drivers are the
biggest problem for Linux, What wireless adapter do you have ?  do a
live cd first and do from a "terminal" do a /sbin/lspci -v and you can
see what hardware you have.
Post your Wireless card make,model, Copy and paste the contents of your
wirless card from /sbin/lspci -v
> - Does Fedora work with the Toshiba Satellite U205-S5034 good?

I think toshiba is somewhat of a problem for linux, Toshiba doesn't
support Linux, they are strictly $Windows.
> - With Fedora 9 can I resize my Windows NTFS partition during the

You can download "Gparted" off the internet and burn a iso image and
that will do your resizing in NTFS.
Do a google on "Gparted Download" and that will tell you where an howto
download.
Be sure you do a "Defragmentation" on WindowsXP before resizing.