[Fedora] Re: Remote Desktop on FC8

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Thu May 1 20:57:01 UTC 2008

Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:
> Mark Haney wrote:
>> Um, just for giggles, why not just export X over SSH? Is there a
>> reason that won't work for you?
>    Because the remote machine doesn't have X nor an X-client on it.  So
> I need to connect to the FC8's desktop.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the machine has a desktop running,
doesn't it also have X?  I've never seen a linux box with a running
desktop not have an XF86 or Xorg server not running to actually give you
the desktop.  Is there some other way for,say KDE, to run without an X
server behind it?

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support