Remote Desktop on FC8

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Fri May 2 17:26:10 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-05-02 at 16:17 +0000, Mike wrote:
> Les Mikesell <lesmikesell <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I generally prefer freenx/NX but it's handy to have vnc available too.
> >

> They perform different functions I understand...
>
> freenx/nx cannot easily connect to the native desktop on a remote machine
> unless I have misunderstood the information I have read.
>
> freenx/nx is good for running a second X session on a remote machine...
> but desktop sharing (which is needed to help people fix desktop issues
> remotely) is not, I believe, easy to achieve using it, apart from
> connecting to a remote vnc session.
>
> Of course someone may well respond and explain how desktop sharing
> (to enable remote help over ssh tunnel) can be done with freenx/nx
> alone (and no vnc) - but I never found documents to say that this
> functionality was possible with freenx/nx

I thought they are essentially the same in terms of funcionality. The NX
work came after VNC (don't know if technically you could call it a fork,
but no matter) and mainly improves the protocol for sending window
events and deltas back and forth, hence is a lot faster in many cases.

There may indeed be a difference in the case of the 'vnc' X module, but
I suspect an equivalent module could be developed for NX.

poc