X config damaged by power failure

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Fri May 2 19:21:33 UTC 2008

g wrote:

>> On Wednesday 30 April 2008 01:00:32 pm Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>>> It could be the time it take to switch between line power and
>>> battery. It tends to be more common with fully loaded power
>>> supplies. There is not enough reserve in the filter caps or
>>> something to carry over the loss of a cycle or two. A UPS that
>>> will also compensate for line voltage tends to have less of a
>>> problem with this because there isn't the abrupt changeover.
>
> this is incorrect. ups = uninterruptible power supply.
>
> dc to ac conversion is done with mains floating battery and ac conversion
> circuit draws power form battery. this is what maintains continuous ac
> output with out interruption.

It is supposed to be uninterpretable, but in practice, low end UPSs,
especially the ones sold for home or home offices, have a changeover
time when AC fails. It is only a cycle of so, but it is there. They
are not designed to be providing continuous AC. These units should
properly be called a battery backup, and not a UPS, but you know how
marketing is.

I have worked with true UPSs, but most of those were 480 volt, 3
phase, with a room full of batteries...

Mikkel