how to connect to wireless access point....

Mike Chalmers mikechalmers70 at gmail.com
Sat May 3 02:33:49 UTC 2008

On 5/2/08, Kevin J. Cummings <cummings at kjchome.homeip.net> wrote:
> Mike Chalmers wrote:
>

> > > Is it in the start menu? I found the /usr/bim/nm-applet. But I am
> > >  wondering if it can be accessed through the start menu? For instance
> > >  can I go to "utilities" in the start menu and access it from there?
> > >
> > >  So my question is where would it be in the start menu? Thanks Kevin.
> > >

>  No, I don't think it is there.  At least my laptop came with nm-applet
> being run in the start-up programs part of the session manager.
>

> > Simply put, how do I open Network Manager?
> >

>  In order to use NetworkManager, you need to start the NetworkManager and
> NetworkManagerDispatcher services.  Use "chkconfig --list NetworkManager"
> and "chkconfig --list NetworkManagerDisplatcher" to see if they are properly
> installed and started.  If they are, then all you need to do is run
> nm-applet in your X11 session and the applet should appear in your system
> notification part of your taskbar.  Then all you need to do is click on it
> to see what wireless networks it finds, and select one of them to connect
> to.
>
>  Clear as mud yet?
>
>  --
>  Kevin J. Cummings
>  kjchome at rcn.com
>  cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
>  cummings at kjc386.framingham.ma.us
>  Registered Linux User #1232 (http://counter.li.org)
>
>  --

Yeah, I got it. It is good that it is the default with F9, because it
sounds like a pretty important application.

Although I found another way that you can start it. Go to the start
menu in KDE and go to Administration-> Services. There you can choose
to start and stop Network Manager and Network Manager Dispatcher. Do
you know anything about this method?

I will be behind a WPA access point. So what I am wondering is where
do I get the, wpa_supplicant RPM?

Thanks,