how to connect to wireless access point....

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Sat May 3 02:49:53 UTC 2008

Mike Chalmers wrote:
> I have both Gnome and KDE. I prefer KDE and was planning on just
> installing KDE with F9. But it seems that Network Manager is a Gnome
> app. So my question is this, do I need to install Gnome to get Network
> Manager, or will only installing KDE give me Network Manager also?

No, Fedora will run KDE apps under Gnome and vice-versa.

> Also, after I install the, wpa_supplicant RPM, I will not have to do
> any configuration for it and Network Manager will do it all? Am I
> right in saying this?

I'm pretty sure I haven't configured mine.  NM should invoke with
everything it thinks it needs.

Matthew is correct in that you will probably have less problems it you
stop and disable your "network" service before you start playing with
NM.  I learned this the hard way under FC6 where its was a pain for NM
to establish a connection to my Linksys wrt56g with the "network"
service running.  Under F9, I disabled network, and while connecting
still isn't perfect, it works *much* better now.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com
cummings at kjchome.homeip.net