sysadmin probs; help needed

Tom Poe tompoe at fngi.net
Sun May 4 00:47:50 UTC 2008

Ed Greshko wrote:
> Tom Poe wrote:
>> I started to register and try out freeworlddialup.com .  It said to
>> download softphone "communicator" and ... well, it was a .exe file.
>> First red flag.
>>
>> The screen said enter user info, so I enter my user name, tom.  Guess
>> what?
>>
>> The app froze, I decided I didn't like this .exe thing, and restarted
>> computer.  Now, when I bring up network dialog, which requires root
>> privileges, it won't accept root password, but will accept user tom's
>> password.
>>
>> I need to correct this.  Suggestions?
>
> communicator_060427.exe is a DOS executable.  How did you install in
> on Linux?

The .exe download file opened install wizard when I double-clicked.  The
second page had a text box to enter user name.  When I went to the third
screen, the install froze.  It apparently took my user name and did
something that now has me as root, and root no longer is valid.  At
login, if I enter root and root password, it locks up.  When I do
ctl/alt/bkspce, it goes to login screen, and I can login as tom.
Tom