What is 'auto ethernet' in nm-applet (F9)?

Marland V. Pittman marland at mvpittman.com
Sun May 4 18:13:28 UTC 2008

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Phil Meyer wrote:
>> Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>>> Neal Becker wrote:
>> um ... its not pre-release, its out there.
>
> Fedora 9 isn't out there yet. What is out there are test/development
> releases.
>
>> Some major problems exist that I can see.
>>
>> !!IF!! no prior version is installed before installing
>> NetworkManager-0.7.0-0.6.7.svn3370:
>>
>> 1.   eth0 is grayed out and unusable
>> 2.   There is no way to add a dial-up connection
>>    a. prior releases would use dial-ups created by system-config-network
>> 3.   All connection edits are limited to Delete -- no add or modify.
>>
>> Kinda tough to use it like this.  Those who have connections already
>> configured before upgrading to this version will continue to be able
>> to use those connections, however, 2 and 3 still apply.
>>
>> Please prove me wrong, my users are getting restless over this ...
>
> I can't really provide you wrong since NM behavior is hardware
> specific.  Deploying a development release to new users isn't best
> practise. Do file bug reports however.
>
> Rahul
Um... That change is in Fedora 8, not pre-release. I noticed it too. I'm
sure skimming over it, it might seem like he (we) are talking about the
pre-release, but it is a change that automatically showed up for users
of F8.

I guess you don't have to run Rawhide to get new stuff, which is great
for some situations, but definitely bad for others.