sysadmin probs; help needed

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Sun May 4 20:44:38 UTC 2008

Tom Poe wrote:
> Frank Cox wrote:
>> On Sat, 03 May 2008 20:48:26 -0500
>> Tom Poe <tompoe at fngi.net> wrote:
>>

>>> Well, it's not installed, it was aborted when the install froze.
>>> Maybe I could disable wine, since I don't need it, do I?  I've never
>>> used it, that I know of.  Never plan to, either.  Is it difficult to
>>> remove wine?
>>>

>> Unless you gave the mystery software your root password, I don't see
>> how it
>> could possibly make any changes to your system configuration.
>>
>> Unless you specify otherwise, everything user-installed through wine
>> should be
>> located in a directory called .wine (notice the dot) in your home
>> directory.
>>
>> "yum remove wine" will remove wine completely from your system, but
>> you'll
>> still have to delete the ~/.wine directory.
> OK.  When I bring up terminal, I can su to root.  The only damage I see,
> is the authentication for network/etho0 card now uses tom/password,
> instead of root/password, and if I logout of tom, and try to login as
> root, the system hangs, until I ctl/alt/bkspce and get back to login
> screen.
>
> I'll hope it's just a cosmetic snafu. Thanks, guys,
> Tom

I have only sporadically been following this thread, so I may have
missed it. If you change to a cli (Ctrl-Alt-F1) login, can you log
in as root?

Are you using Network Manager to manage the Network connection? If
so, how long have you waited when the system locks up? Is it
possible that it is trying to bring up a network connection, and
failing? You could have to wait for the network connection to time
out...

Is it possible that you have roots desktop set to start some
programs on startup, and one of them is hanging?

When you were trying to install the program, were you logged in as
root, or running as root? (Were you asked for root's password?)

Mikkel