sysadmin probs; help needed

Tom Poe tompoe at fngi.net
Sun May 4 21:08:14 UTC 2008

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Tom Poe wrote:
>> Frank Cox wrote:

>>> Unless you gave the mystery software your root password, I don't see
>>> how it
>>> could possibly make any changes to your system configuration.
>>>
>>> Unless you specify otherwise, everything user-installed through
>>> wine  should be
>>> located in a directory called .wine (notice the dot) in your home
>>> directory.
>>>
>>> "yum remove wine" will remove wine completely from your system, but
>>> you'll
>>> still have to delete the ~/.wine directory.
>> OK.  When I bring up terminal, I can su to root.  The only damage I
>> see, is the authentication for network/etho0 card now uses
>> tom/password, instead of root/password, and if I logout of tom, and
>> try to login as root, the system hangs, until I ctl/alt/bkspce and
>> get back to login screen.
>>
>> I'll hope it's just a cosmetic snafu. Thanks, guys,
>> Tom
>>
> I have only sporadically been following this thread, so I may have
> missed it. If you change to a cli (Ctrl-Alt-F1) login, can you log in
> as root?
>
> Are you using Network Manager to manage the Network connection? If so,
> how long have you waited when the system locks up? Is it possible that
> it is trying to bring up a network connection, and failing? You could
> have to wait for the network connection to time out...
>
> Is it possible that you have roots desktop set to start some programs
> on startup, and one of them is hanging?
>
> When you were trying to install the program, were you logged in as
> root, or running as root? (Were you asked for root's password?)
>
> Mikkel
Mikkel:  I can ctl-alt-f1 and login as root.  I haven't used network
manager (don't know where it is).  When it locks up while trying to
enter GUI for root from the sessions login screen, I waited about 30 to
45 seconds.  When I clicked on the .exe file, I was logged in as user,
and no request for root password came up.  I now can authenticate to
edit network card dialog with user/password, whereas before, it always
required authenticating with root/password.  What seems to be affected,
is the GUI authentication aspects such as login to root from the session
login screen, and as I mentioned, authenticating for the administration
task of editing nic card settings.
Tom