****Re: openldap + kmail

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Mon May 5 03:13:49 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-05-04 at 15:50 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-05-01 at 00:11 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:

> > Incidentally, the reason I did this was that I was following
> > the yolinux tutorial at
> > <http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialLDAP.html>.
> > You are invited to access their LDAP server,
> > and I found that I could indeed see their address book
> > in my KAddressBook when I gave Host: ldap.yo-linux.com , DN: o=stooges .
> > This was following their general instructions, which read (in part):
> >
> >     * Name: YoLinux Demo
> >     * Hostname: ldap.yo-linux.com
> >     * Base DN: o=stooges
>
> I tried using the "stooges" example and went cross-eyed attempting it.
> If you were to open several tabs in Firefox, with several different
> "LDAP How-to's" in each, you'd see them start off the same, for the
> first couple of entries, then diverge into different methodologies. That
> is not a learning experience. It's confusing. For someone who thinks
> they have some Linux background, running up against this beast is
> daunting. Ric
----
I hope you don't think that you were the only one who found it
difficult...I get your frustrations and Tim's. First of all, you can't
use competing walk-throughs because EVERYONE does things differently and
it's certain that you can't mix theories and expect it to work.

Personally, I never found any LDAP walk-through that was capable of
providing an understanding of basic LDAP or I would hae suggested it to
you guys...I promise.

What I told you was that Gerald Carter's LDAP System Administration
would make it all so clear (at least enough to be functional) in 3 hours
or so. If you want to keep spinning your wheels and playing Alexander
Portnoy, be my guest.

Craig