moving /home , no joy

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon May 5 04:17:56 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-05-04 at 20:53 -0500, Michael Hennebry wrote:
> FC8 keeps telling me bad magic number
> in superblock and puts me in repair mode.
> Knoppix likes the partition just fine.
> It's fsck declares it clean.
> FC8's fsck declares it has a bad magic number.
> FC8 used to like it, too.
> I copied /home/* to it under FC8.
> Knoppix can read the result, as could FC8.

I don't recall you saying how you copied /home over.  A file copy, a
disc block copy, something else?  "dd"ing a partition between drives
with different sizes might be a cause of your troubles.

> Something I'd forgotten before repartitioning /dev/sda
> is that I had a swap partition on it.

You can repartition and create a swap partition, or you could add a swap
file to an existing partition.

> FC8 now complains that it can't find the resume partition or
> something.  The partitition that it complains about, the now absent
> swap partition, hasn't been listed in fstab for several reboots.

If you don't intend to hibernate (suspend to disc) and resume, then you
can ignore the warning about not being able to find the resume partition
(which is the swap partition).

Resuming makes use of the configuration in the /boot/initrd*img file to
find the partition to resume from.  The fstab file provides the swap
location for the booted OS.

You'd have to remake the initrd file to get resuming to work, which
means using the mkinitrd command, or installing a new kernel (which will
make a new initrd file as part of the installation process).  Or provide
a resume=/dev/sda1 (adjust to suit your system) parameter in the grub
file for where the swap partition is located.  I don't think you can
refer to a swap file, there.

See mkswap, swapon & mkinitrd man files, and the kernel-parameters.txt
file in the kernel documentation.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.