Generating a new grub.conf ??

Bradley Pursley pursley001 at comcast.net
Tue May 6 18:06:27 UTC 2008

William Case wrote:
> Hi;
>
> Just went through some grub problems and fixes.  I got grub running but
> I had to generate my own grub.conf.  I ended up re-installing F8 anyways
> for other reasons (faults of my own making).
>
> But I got wondering; is there a utility that generates the grub setup
> for stage2 á la anaconda in /boot/... and/or /boot/grub/grub.conf.

You know, I've wondered if there is any decent editor for the GRUB.CONF
file when I was first setting up Linux.

There use to be a lot of really good LILO boot editors which worked very
well, but there doesn't seem to be really much of anything out there for
GRUB.  There's nothing in the help files, the manual page for GRUB just
points to the info pages, and the info files for GRUB are very poorly
written for a user who absolutely needs to quickly customize it
immediately after installing.  The utility located at System -
Administration - Bootloader either doesn't work or isn't for GRUB.  Even
if it was for GRUB, it doesn't look like it really does much of anything.

An easy to use editor for the GRUB.CONF file should be part of the
standard installation on any version of Linux but either doesn't exist
or this extremely important topic seems to be all but completely skipped
in the install & configuration instructions.  I have to manually "fix"
mine every time there's an update to the kernel or GRUB and I had to
play around with it for a week to get it right the first time after I
installed Linux.

Bradley