Problems with iwl4965 wireless

Sjoerd Mullender sjoerd at acm.org
Tue May 6 19:11:42 UTC 2008

On 2008-05-06 20:58, Mike wrote:
> John W. Linville <linville <at> redhat.com> writes:
>
>> You may wish to try the latest available F8 kernel in Fedora.  It has
>> some recent fixes that have improved the situation for a number of
>> iwl3945 and iwl4965 users (but not all of them):
>>
>> 	http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=47941
>
> Hi John
>
> That will certainly be worth a shot for the OP but do you know if there is an
> associated kmod-nvidia rpm to match it yet (in livna devel?)

I have a different problem with the iwl4965 wireless driver: on the
2.6.24.5-85.fc8.x86_64 kernel it doesn't seem to send out any packets
when trying to get an IP address, so initializing the WiFi interface
fails.  The latest available F8 kernel from the above link
(2.6.24.6-90.fc8.x86_64) doesn't change that.  It worked fine in the
previous kernel (2.6.24.4-64.fc8.x86_64) so that's the one I'm using.

I tested this on another system using tcpdump on the wireless interface.
  With the -85 kernel there were no packets visible, but with the -64
kernel there were.

I'm on a Dell Inspiron 1720 with Intel PRO/Wireless 4965 AG or AGN.

To answer the question in the message I'm actually replying to, I have
no idea, but with the freshrpms.net version of the driver you wouldn't
have that problem since it uses DKMS to compile the driver at boot time
when it hadn't already.

--
Sjoerd Mullender