Generating a new grub.conf ??

Bradley Pursley pursley001 at comcast.net
Wed May 7 17:03:42 UTC 2008

Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Wed, May 07, 2008 at 06:51:45 -0400,
>   William Case <billlinux at rogers.com> wrote:
>
>> Is it not possible to make a Red Hat utility that just repeats the grub
>> part of the Anaconda installation process.  Perhaps it could have a gui
>> frontend in order to make some simple adjustments, but nonetheless a
>> user/administrator could re-install just the grub part of their system
>> without having to run the entire Fedora installation.
>>

> You can run grub to reinstall the part that is in the MBR.
> You use the 'root' command to tell it what partition has the config file
> and 'setup' to write to the MBR of a particular hard drive. (If you are
> using software raid 1, you want to do this manually as the install only
> writes the MBR of one drive.)
> Otherwise the grub.conf file is plain text and you can use your favorite
> text editor to edit it.
If I understood the question properly, I believe it was how do you
install / configure grub (for dual booting was the specific question)
with no previous grub.conf file and no knowledge or experience with
grub. The question was not how to re-install grub. I am also awaiting
the answer to this question because I also had this problem and had to
totally re-install Fedora just because the grub.conf file got hosed and,
as of yet, no one has answered this question.

Bradley