moving /home , no joy

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu May 8 03:33:32 UTC 2008

Tim:
>> It should do, and is easy enough to test (add the resume parameter to
>> the kernel line, and put an entry into fstab for your swap partition).

Michael Hennebry:
> Alas, for some reason it didn't do.
> My FC8 has a boot partition.
> I tried both resume=/dev/hda5 and resume=/../dev/hda5 .
> FC8  complained that it couldn't find either one.

Aha!  Try "/dev/sda5" instead of hda5.  All drives got treated as SCSI a
couple of versions back.  It's a device name, not a path.  And the
resume partition is the swap partition, not the boot partition.

> noresume got rid of the complaint,

If you never intend to hibernate and resume, that's a reasonable
solution.

> but didn't solve the new mystery or cure
> the supposed bad magic number on sda1.
>
> Is there a way to ask FC8
> What does it think the magic number should be?
> What magic number is it getting?
> From where is it getting the magic number?

I don't know that one.  You might want to a start a new subject with an
appropriate subject line about the particular problem.  Someone ignoring
this thread might chime in.

--
(This computer runs FC7, my others run FC4, FC5 & FC6, all using Gnome
 in case that's important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.