upgrade from fedora core 6 to 9

Aaron Konstam akonstam at sbcglobal.net
Thu May 8 15:04:48 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-05-08 at 00:17 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-05-07 at 15:32 +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
> > On Wed, 07 May 2008 15:52:16 +0200
> > Mathieu Kretchner <mathieu.kretchner at sophia.inria.fr> wrote:
> >
> > > Hello all,
> > >
> > > I would like to upgrade my home computer with fc9 from fc6 and I
> > > wondering if there is no problem to do the gap ?
> >
> > There shouldn't be. There are boxes I look after that started on RH 7.x
> > and are now on FC8. If you are worried then run the upgrades through FC7
> > and FC8 first
>
> Yeah, let us know how it goes. Myself, I'd backup everything first. You
> just might be looking at a full install if it blows up ...which could
> very well happen, IMHO. As a matter of practice, I only do full installs
> from my past experience. :) Ric
> -
Despite what Alan Cox recommended I think the consensus is that the
chances of safely upgrading a fedora version are slim. That is what
people like so much about Ubuntu. One updates over the web without an
install disk and it works. In fedora for example we have other repos we
load from. I replaced totem with totem-xine from livna. It is hard to
believe an upgrade would handle this easily. The same with my mplayer
from livna and RealPlayer from their web site.

Now Alan Cox I will admit is more knowledgeable about Fedora than I am.
So if anyone can pull this upgrade off he can. But notice even he
slipped in the advice not to upgrade directly from FC6 to f9 but go one
version at a time.

Don't vote -- it only encourages them!
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam at sbcglobal.net