So Long and Thanks for All the Fish

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Thu May 8 21:36:50 UTC 2008

John Thompson wrote:
> On 2008-04-27, Charles Curley <charlescurley at charlescurley.com> wrote:
>
>> * I prefer XFCE or similar lightweight desktops for these machines. I
>>   can get XFCE with xubuntu. I see no Fedora analog.
>
> XFCE is in Fedora Extras. If you select the Fedora Extras repo at
> install time, you can make XFCE your default desktop right from the
> start. Not that it's hard to change to XFCE after you've installed...

I read that someone was going to develop a low memory spin for FC9 using
XFCE. Not clear what the timeframe on that is. I can probably look up
where I saw it.

But Redhat distributions are definitely going to take more memory to
install than some others, and unless there's a trick they don't take
advantage of a swap partition for install, even if you prepartition a
disk to provide it. I believe Slackware will install in 32MB, I know I
ran old SLS and Slackware in 16MB, and without X in 12MB. Memory cost
the earth in those days.

I have a 16MB Pentium laptop I'd love to use for just taking notes in
text mode, and stuff like that, Fedora sure won't fit anymore. ;-)

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>