fsck

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Fri May 9 17:30:50 UTC 2008

Tod Merley wrote:
> Hi
>
> I would tend to set a flag checked by a utility inserted in the run
> level one startup.  The script would then be able to accomplish the
> whole thingl
>
> Have Fun!
>
> Tod
>
> 2008/3/25  <tony.chamberlain at lemko.com>:
>> Is there anyway to automate the following (all from one script):
>>
>>      Boot to single-user mode (or whatever is required)
>>      run fsck
>>      reboot back to level 5 (or 3)
>>
>> so that you can kick it off, go away,
>> come back an hour or so later and it'll
>> all be done (via IP)?
>>
>> --
>>

> Hi
>
> I would tend to set a flag checked by a utility inserted in the run
> level one startup.  The script would then be able to accomplish the
> whole thingl

Er, a simple script:

	#!/bin/bash
	touch /.autofsck
	reboot

will do it.  The system looks for /.autofsck when it boots.  If it finds
it, it fscks the filesystems, then deletes /.autofsck.  Check the main
startup script "/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit" for details.
- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer                       rps2 at nerd.com -
- Hosting Consulting, Inc.                                           -
-           Lottery: A tax on people who are bad at math.            -