Samba users - upgrade

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at ssa.crane.navy.mil
Fri May 9 19:21:34 UTC 2008

Craig White wrote, On 05/09/2008 02:12 PM:
> On Fri, 2008-05-09 at 12:30 -0500, Bob Hartung wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>    I have a running install of Redhat 8 that is about to be upgraded.
<SNIP>
> ----
>> 2.  Does every user with acces to the Samba share have to have an
>> account on the machine proper or can this be accomplished within Samba?
> ----
> no - samba requires both a samba and a unix account

(tangential question caused by answer)
Craig,
I (used to) understand that samba _has_ to have a _Unix_account_ on the
machine to map the samba user too, but does samba now require an explicit
samba account as well as a system user?  i.e., if I have a Unix account
'sucker' and if that is my MS user name too, then samba should just map
through to the Unix account and password right?

--
Todd Denniston