Samba users - upgrade

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Fri May 9 20:21:13 UTC 2008

Craig White wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-05-09 at 15:21 -0400, Todd Denniston wrote:
>> (tangential question caused by answer)
>> Craig,
>> I (used to) understand that samba _has_ to have a _Unix_account_ on the
>> machine to map the samba user too, but does samba now require an explicit
>> samba account as well as a system user?  i.e., if I have a Unix account
>> 'sucker' and if that is my MS user name too, then samba should just map
>> through to the Unix account and password right?
> ----
> The only way I could conceive of pulling that off is with winbindd where
> the samba account is maintained on some Windows server elsewhere, but no
> matter what, samba will need/create a local 'passdb' of some sort.
>
> Craig

You may want to look at the "security = [ads|domain|server]" option
- if I am reading it correctly, this puts the entire user/password
validation on another machine. So you would not need a user/password
database on the local machine. I would think you would still need a
samba user for the logs and such...

I found a fairly complete description of differences in the smb.conf
man page under the security option.

Mikkel