X config damaged by power failure - OT

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri May 9 23:42:20 UTC 2008

Tim:
>> Working in A/V production it's not uncommon to have some twenty cables
>> going into gear, and 'tis a right pain to sort out which cable's which
>> when they're bunched together.  I tried naming things, but when you
>> re-use a cable, the name's wrong.  I tried numbering, but people expect
>> cable one to go into socket one, and get mightily confused when it
>> doesn't.  In the end I settled for using bands of coloured electrical
>> insulation tape on both ends of the cable (e.g. green, red, then blue
>> tape, starting from the plug ends, inwards).  You can easily find both
>> ends of the same cable, that way, and it doesn't matter what they're
>> connected to.

Robin Laing:
> Use letters.

Even that has its problems.  We've one piece of gear where the
manufacturer simply labelled each socket A to Z, with no indications of
what they were for (lazy bastards).  Needless to say that I fixed that
up with a texta.  Though that's getting harder to do thanks to graffiti
vandals - textas don't have the solvents in them that they used to, so
vandalism can be cleaned off better, but that means that they won't mark
well on some surfaces.  Grr, bloody teenagers...

> As you know, you can buy cable markers that have letters instead of
> numbers.  If under 26 cables, one letter each.  More than 26, start
> using double letters.

I've tried tags, in the past, but you turn the cables into fishing lines
(you add a barb to them, that catches on things), and they tend to be
overpriced.

The coloured insulation tape had the advantages of being nearly flush
with the cable, damn cheap, we nearly always had some on hand, and you
could get more from just about anywhere.

I read messages from the public lists.