Looking Ahead - Upgrade

Anders Karlsson anders at trudheim.co.uk
Fri May 9 23:54:18 UTC 2008

* Rick Stevens <ricks at nerd.com> [20080510 01:16]:
[snip]
> Not always possible.  I recently had to put OpenSSL 0.9.8g on a CentOS
> 5.1 machine to pass a certain certification.  The latest OpenSSL for
> CentOS 5.1 is 0.9.8b (farking ancient).  I did it by building it from
> a F9-Preview source RPM, building it (with some tweaks as F9 has some
> ciphers that CentOS 5.1 doesn't have), installing the binaries and
> poking various symlinks and such to make existing apps happy.  So, Rule
> 1 can't ALWAYS be adhered to, no matter how "stock" you want your system
> to be.

Don't stare yourself blind on the version string. If the only reason
for requiring OpenSSL 0.9.8g is security fixes, then the version in
CentOS may very well have all the ones you'd care about. You are aware
of Red Hat's ABI/API guarantee - right?

Saying that - I have some tools that I build for RHEL 5.x and for
Fedora 8 (soon 9) as a matter of course, as I use them elsewhere
regularly.

As always - YMMY...

[snip]

/Anders