need help with installing .tar.gz packages that i've downloaded

Manuel Aróstegui manuel at todo-linux.com
Sun May 11 14:55:51 UTC 2008

El dom, 11-05-2008 a las 16:33 +0200, dannylee escribió:
> hi everybody its me again,
> I've downloaded a .tar.gz package from the internet, and before I downloaded it it said that i only can open it with the archive manager. My problem is; how can i install that package?
> any help please
> -Danny

Most of them, after extracting them (tar zxvf) they have a README or
INSTALL file where everything regarding to the installation is
explained.
As a general rule, the majority of those packages need:
./configure
make
make install

Manuel.

--
Manuel Arostegui Ramirez.

Electronic Mail is not secure, might not be read every day, and should not
be used for urgent or sensitive issues.