Wpa_supplicant mystery

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Mon May 12 02:33:40 UTC 2008

Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-05-11 at 15:21 -0400, Bill Davidsen wrote:
>> Aaron Konstam wrote:
>>> <snip>
>>>>
>>> http://live.gnome.org/DarrenAlbers/NetworkManagerFAQ
>>>

>>> http://live.gnome.org/NetworkManager
>>>
>> I appreciate that you're trying to be helpful, but the FAQ does
>> hand-waving instead of giving useful answers.
>>
>> Example
>>
>> Q: "How does NetworkManager select which wireless network to connect to?"
>>
>> A: (part1) NM only attempts to automatically connect to networks you
>> have previously told it to connect to.  [not the case, it picked one]
> The one it picks is generally the one you connected to last. I know you
> are going to say you never connected before. No matter look at comment
> under A.  part2.

>> (part2) If NM isn't connecting to the network you want, try to force it
>> to connect to the network you wish to be connected,... [If I knew how to
>> force it I wouldn't be reading the FAQ, now, would I?]
> You left click on nm-applet icon and choose the AP ypu wnat to connect
> to.

This will have to wait until I get back to the laptop, the machine I
have handy shows all the information on the wired connection, but when I
go to the tabs to edit connections, the current connection isn't shown,
so I'm unable to edit that if I wanted to.

This may be due to a single wired connection, but I would expect that
when I go to edit connections I would see them all, if I wanted to set
the IP correctly instead of using one from the DHCP pool, for instance.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>