Strange multicast behaviour...A bug?

Aleksandar Kostadinov akostadi at redhat.com
Mon May 12 12:41:42 UTC 2008

You need to route the multicast traffic and if you have a default route,
then it does the job instead.

1. remove default route
2. ip route add 224.0.0.0/4 <interface>
2.1. alternatively you could route only the desired mcast address
3. bind your receiver to the <interface>

I know... behavior has changed (long ago).

---
Today I observed that multicasting does not work without a default
route. Naturally I expected it to not get past the local subnet.
However, I was surprised that I was not able to receive the traffic on
the SAME host that was sending it. Is that a bug? Even if no one else is
able to receive the join. Why can't the joining host still join????

Russell