Importing address book and mail in Thunderbird

max maximilianbianco at gmail.com
Tue May 13 01:21:24 UTC 2008

Jim wrote:
> I did a clean install of FC8 on PC which had FC6 before, I saved the old
> .thunderbird folder from FC6.
> How do I use the "Import" tool in thunderbird, FC8 to import the old
> FC6  thunderbird  mail ,  address book ?
> I physically moved the old address book into the FC8 thunderbird and it
> wouldn't accept that.

Remember to restart thunderbird after an update. I just tried it and it
didn't work but then I remembered that thunderbird had some updates.
Restart thunderbird ,or log out and back in, after updates.

Tools-->Import

Usually that works but if you never exported the address book it may not
work. There is a file in the thunderbird folder (at least on F8) called
abook.mab ,it is a text file, it looks like the address book, copy your
old one, from fc6, into the thunderbird folder but save the  one that is
already there with a different name,like abook.mab.old, first so you can
put it back if it doesn't work out. Just a couple of suggestions.....at
your own risk !

Max