Segmentation fault in network-functions

max bianco maximilianbianco at gmail.com
Tue May 13 19:20:24 UTC 2008

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 10:17 AM, don vogt <donvogt2001 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have been hesitating to report this for quite a
>  while because it is a minor problem in an unusual
>  case. However, I think someone might be interested.
>   I am a desktop user on a DSl line and ,admittedly,
>  paranoid. When I am going to be off the computer for a
>  while, I disconnect the interface. Originaly I used
>  the network manager widget from gnome and clicked on
>  disable. Then I would enable the same way. This worked
>  fine through fc4 to fc7. With fc8 I get a segmentation
>  fault on trying to enable the interface after it has
>  been down for a while, like 20-30 minutes. This would
>  happen about every 4th or 5th time. I therfore started
>  using a terminal and running ifdown eth0 and ifup
>  eth0. This worked for a while, but today I got the
>  segfault again.

If you were truly paranoid you would be physically disconnecting
yourself from the network rather than using the terminal to shutdown
the interface, after all did you personally write the nm-manager?or
the terminal commands? I think you aren't as paranoid as you are
giving yourself credit for being : ) So to be clear it is segfaulting
when using the terminal commands? I would test my hardware, maybe
throw in another NIC and see if it still does that or not. Have a look
through the logs, maybe this will offer up some clues.

Max