F9 Installation DVD won't boot correctly

Phil Meyer pmeyer at themeyerfarm.com
Wed May 14 22:41:25 UTC 2008

Dave Cross wrote:
> I've downloaded and burnt an installation DVD for Fedora 9 it doesn't work.
>
> The system boots to the first screen where I am prompted to press
> enter to begin the installation. But it acts as though the keyboard
> isn't connected. I can't press enter and therefore can't start the
> installation.
>
> This is the third consecutive Fedora release where I've had this
> problem. FC6 worked fine, but 7, 8 and 9 have all failed in the same
> way. Previously I've used a "yum upgrade" to get round it, but I'd
> really like to get to the bottom of this problem.
>
> The laptop is a Philips Freevent X51 which is really a rebadged
> Twinhead Notebook 12D.
>
> If anyone can suggest a way to start debugging this issue then I'd be
> very grateful.

There is a work around.  Lots of DELL gear have this problem, as well.

While booting ...

Press the ESC key repeatedly.  You are trying to hit escape prior to the
grub menu.

It is grub on the CDROM that is causing the issue.  From the grub menu
you can hit ESC to go back to the normal old style propmts.

Therefore, if you can squeeze in an ESC prior to grub firing off all the
way, you get the old boot prompt.

Good Luck!