Fedora Core 9 Sulfur issue : internet connectivity

Ricky ricky.nj at gmail.com
Thu May 15 03:44:12 UTC 2008

Hi Guys,

First post here, so excuse me if this is not the right approach for asking
questions.

I have : Intel(R) 82566DC Gigabit Network Connection ethernet card. The way
i have it currently setup is : I have modem (Motorola cable modem) that has
a LAN cable coming out to a Netgear wireless router, another LAN cable that
comes out of wireless router to my Ethernet / LAN card. Now when all is
setup like i have described; A "Wireless" connection is detected promptly
and i enter password (it is a protected connection) and all is good, EXCEPT
that whenever i download something, my internet connection disconnects.

Now in order to solve the above issue, i removed connection from Netgear
wireless router, and connected to ethernet card on the desktop directly.
However i don't know (This is my first Linux installation unfortunately) how
to use a wired connection, i activated and started all network services,
(activated as in activated ethernet card as recognized by sulfur), but when
i click on the desktop bar N/W icon below, it shows wired connection in the
menu disabled, am i doing something wrong!!?

Any help, baby steps would appreciable!!

Rick.