KDE 4...

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Thu May 15 14:18:09 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-05-15 at 16:33 +0300, Gilboa Davara wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-05-15 at 08:32 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> > > IMHO, KDE4-release was underwhelming and shouldn't have been released
> > > until it reached feature a parity with KDE 3.5.x.
> > > IMO, bugs and crashes can be forgiven - but not having an option to set
> > > the order of applets on a panel (only added in 4.0.3?) or change the
> > > appearance of the panel was inexcusable.
> >
> > I think most people would put it the other way round. I can
> > (temporarily) live with not being able to order the panel applets, as
> > long as the thing doesn't crash and burn.
>
> I guess it's a matter of personal preference, then.
>

> > Reaching feature-parity with 3.5 is going to happen faster the more
> > people are using it.
>
> Usage count != development speed.

But bug_reporting = f(number of users)

> > Fedora is meant to be a bleeding-edge distro, so
> > there are always going to be some things that limp along on a wing and a
> > prayer. Other distros like Ubuntu are more into stability, which is why
> > Hardy Heron is still on KDE 3.5 (with an option for 4) and an older
> > kernel.
>
> I never said that F9 should have included KDE 3.5.9 instead of KDE4. Far
> from it. I do plan to continue using KDE4 on my rawhide machine
> (reporting bugs as I go along) - I am saying the in my view, KDE4 is not
> what-I-consider sea-worthy for my day-to-day usage. (Personal
> preference)

Indeed YMMV. I use it every day and am getting used to its quirks,
though I get frustrated about things that changed arbitrarily, e.g.
right now I can't remember how to save my session settings. It used to
be a simple button in the K Menu, but now it isn't and there seems to be
nothing about it in the docs. I know it's possible because I've done
before, I just can't remember how :-) Also, some of the docs seem to
still be for KDE 3.5 and haven't been updated.

poc