Upgrade via PackageKit, etc.

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Thu May 15 14:32:07 UTC 2008

Mark Haney wrote:

> I'm aware it uses a wrapper, but it's still done (at least the
> downloading, dependency solving) while you are using the system.

Preupgrade does that too. PackageKit can be connected to it once we
abstract it in a distribution neutral way just like the rest of
PackageKit itself. We are already discussing this in PackageKit list.

>> Look at preupgrade.
>
> This is actually very cool.  How well does it work?

It is still in updates-testing repository for Fedora 7 and 8 and fixes
are being rolled out continuously based on feedback from testers. I
would suggest doing a backup and run this. Provide a report back to
fedora-test list. Once we get more feedback, we can push it over to the
updates repository.

Rahul