KDE4 desktop effects issue on fedora9

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Thu May 15 17:34:39 UTC 2008

PK <superprad <at> gmail.com> writes:
> Hi I logged into KDE and everything is good. I turned on
> desktop effects and it logged me out and now I'm not able to log back
> in. It tried to load KDE and reverts back to the login screen.

Compositing in KWin is still a bit of a tech preview, that's why it's disabled
by default. It works great for some people, not so great for others (e.g.
occasional crashes) and not at all for the unlucky ones like you. (One thing
worth trying would be setting the advanced settings to use XRender instead of
OpenGL, however, that's probably going to be slow.)

> Gnome works fine with desktop effects btw.

GNOME uses Compiz for desktop effects, you can try that in KDE too: install
compiz-kde, then use the "Compiz Switcher" to enable it.

        Kevin Kofler