KDE 4...

max bianco maximilianbianco at gmail.com
Thu May 15 18:30:33 UTC 2008

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 1:56 PM, Paul Johnson <pauljohn32 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 12:10 PM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
>> Michal Janda <diskuse <at> jndm.net> writes:
>>> I have feeling that Fedora do not care about KDE users
>>
>> We do care, that's why we offer you the latest and greatest KDE. There are some
>> great things in KDE 4.0 already and there will be more great things (and less
>> breakage) in KDE 4.1, which we're planning to push as an update once it is
>> released. (I really hope this will work out, it will be a big improvement.)
>>

> Do you get the feeling that Fedora might include the
> obviously-not-ready KDE as a way to kill it?  I can't see anybody
> choosing to use KDE now if they did not use it before.  On the other
> hand, I switched from Gnome to KDE 3.5 about 6 months ago, and liked
> it pretty well. Learned to use dcop and get some nice background
> effects.
>
> When KDE 4 came out, I installed it and most of the stuff I really
> liked about KDE was gone, and could not get any advice on the kde
> mailing lists about how to find the features I wanted.  The KDE
> website had no documentation for version 4, especially when you wanted
> to do something other than find a way to open a panel or a clock.
> Nobody knew how to access dbus to run commands to change the
> background or stuff like that.  The common answer was "KDE 4 is not
> ready yet.."
>
> Maybe Fedora is administering tough love to KDE.
>
> Or, if the Fedora team really does prefer Gnome (and there are
> historical reasons why they ought to), they are giving the KDE group
> "enough rope to hang themselves".

Come on I don't think that's fair it is a major revision.
I wasn't a fan of KDE when I first booted Fedora and I still don't use
it but I am going to have to make time to install the KDE desktop now.
I have got too see what is going on with KDE.

Max

--
And on the eighth day he said "There shall be no rest for the weary."

BTW don't forget to correct me if I am wrong, more than one sentence
would be nice unless its a link to the explanation.