KDE 4...

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu May 15 18:42:34 UTC 2008

On Thursday 15 May 2008 16:16, Gilboa Davara wrote:

> The start move->stop move is counter-intuitive.

It surprised me at first, but I can't see the problem with it.

> I cannot remove the zoom applet. (KDE #154535)

I've read through that report and haven't a clue what it's about.  What is
this tooldbox?  Is it the add-a-widget thingy?  If so, I'd certainly
appreciate being able to turn it off, but it's no big deal.  And the zoom
applet?  What/where is it?

> GNOME tray icons appear get corrupted. (KDE #155381)

OK, under investigation, then.

> Logout/Shutdown/etc under Leave/kick-off must be selected twice. (Fedora
> #441260)

That's one that I find annoying, too.

> Panel resizing breaks more-or-less everything. (KDE #158762).

Searching for that bug just offered me four reports on similar themes.  I
presume that you refer to the fact that scaling is not too good yet?  I'm
sure that will have to be dealt with soon.

> Beyond that:
> The new kick-off menu is... @#%^@#$^@#^@#@#!!!~#!% and the classic menu
> is far too spartan.

Classic menu looks just like the old one on my system (I installed it from the
panel menu, not by switching, so I don't know if that makes any difference).
As for the kick-off menu, we will just have to fight for the things that we
most need changing.

> I cannot modify the dock's lock and feel. (Fix should land in rawhide
> any time now - though AFAIK, transparency is not supported)
>
> Beyond that, I've got a heavily customized KDE 3.5.9 desktop: komposite,
> transparency, icons, kwin rules, etc.

Most of these are nice-to-haves, and yes, there are a few that I want to see
too, but I can get by for a time while they are being sorted out.

> For now, for -me-, KDE4 just
> doesn't offer any killer feature that makes it worth while.

In one sense I totally agree.  However, it is the future, and to help shape
the future we need to be a part of it.

> > > As for me, I'm sticking with F8/3.5.9 (and CentOS5/3.5.9) - while
> > > keeping a close eye on Rawhide/4.1. Once it 4.1 hits F9, I'll make the
> > > switch.
> >
> > The trouble with that approach is that the developers don't get the
> > useful feedback.  There's only so much they can do without users.
>
> I know, but the best that I can do (beyond switching to F9) is to keep
> testing KDE4 on my rawhide machine until I consider it usable.

Fine.  Bug reporting etc. is what's necessary.  It's not necessary for us to
use it in every circumstance.  I only have one box on my LAN running it.

I'm disappointed at Aaron Siego's insistence on some points.  For me, the
ability to configure until my workspace entirely matches my need is what has
always attracted me to kde.  I do hope that once the urgent jobs are over we
will get that kind of configurability again.

Anne