KDE 4...

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Thu May 15 19:37:51 UTC 2008

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 12:10 PM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
> > Michal Janda <diskuse <at> jndm.net> writes:
> >> I have feeling that Fedora do not care about KDE users
> >
> > We do care, that's why we offer you the latest and greatest KDE. There are some
> > great things in KDE 4.0 already and there will be more great things (and less
> > breakage) in KDE 4.1, which we're planning to push as an update once it is
> > released. (I really hope this will work out, it will be a big improvement.)
> >

> Do you get the feeling that Fedora might include the
> obviously-not-ready KDE as a way to kill it?  I can't see anybody
> choosing to use KDE now if they did not use it before.  On the other
> hand, I switched from Gnome to KDE 3.5 about 6 months ago, and liked
> it pretty well. Learned to use dcop and get some nice background
> effects.
>
> When KDE 4 came out, I installed it and most of the stuff I really
> liked about KDE was gone, and could not get any advice on the kde
> mailing lists about how to find the features I wanted.  The KDE
> website had no documentation for version 4, especially when you wanted
> to do something other than find a way to open a panel or a clock.
> Nobody knew how to access dbus to run commands to change the
> background or stuff like that.  The common answer was "KDE 4 is not
> ready yet.."
>
> Maybe Fedora is administering tough love to KDE.
>
> Or, if the Fedora team really does prefer Gnome (and there are
> historical reasons why they ought to), they are giving the KDE group
> "enough rope to hang themselves".
>
> pj
>
> --
> Paul E. Johnson
> Professor, Political Science
> 1541 Lilac Lane, Room 504
> University of Kansas
>
> --

I knew this was coming the warnings were there :).  These kinds of things happen. Thanks to some in the list I am finding my way on KDE 4, but it will take time adjusting.  I liked the digital clock, it is not there anymore.  I liked the quick task and the ability to put into the panels, it is somehow there, but it feels different.

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2008-April/msg01793.html

Also, Thanks Rahul for sharing the article:

http://www.redhatmagazine.com/2008/05/14/fedora-9-and-the-road-to-kde4/

Regards,

Antonio