Wireless switch on HP DV1000 with ipw2200 card: how activate wireless switch

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Thu May 15 20:55:46 UTC 2008

I did a clean install of F9 on an HP dv1000 laptop.  IT was smooth,
mostly, and the wire network is good.  The wireless is giving me some
trouble.  lspci shows the intel ipw2200, which has worked on other
systems I've administered.

If I run "/sbin/iwlist scan"
it shows a lot of wireless networks.

Doesn't that mean the wireless networking is turned on?

But network manager doesn't see any wireless networks.  It doesn't try
to join any.

I'm resisting old temptation to run system-config-network, you know what I mean?

The owner points out a wireless network toggle button, and clicking on
it has no effect.  Some older ubuntu newsgroup posts say the LED is
off by default, and there's a thing to turn it on.  But on our Dell
laptops with the same network card, no such magic is needed.

What do you think?

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science