Upgrade from Fedora Core 6 to Fedora 9

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Thu May 15 22:59:51 UTC 2008

Francois wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm running Fedora Core 6 on my main computer, and I would like to upgrade
> to F9.
> I've just burned the appropriate DVD.
> Do you think it's secure to upgrade from FC6 to F9, or do I have to format
> everything, and install F9 from scratch ?

It is possible to do as an upgrade, but inadvisable. See the thread, but
consider backing up your home and whatever and then doing a clean
install. The upgrade path seems to leave lots of old stuff you don't
want or need, etc, directory sizes tend to change which might suggest
repartitioning, and similar issues.

You can do it, but it may be more work and less satisfactory than
starting clean.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>