Mount Problems in Fedora 9

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Fri May 16 12:38:39 UTC 2008

"G" wrote:
> I installed Fedora 9 today and its really good. I found a problem .
> The Gnome mount does not seem to work . I have got few windows
> partitions as FAT32 and one windows partition as NTFS though i am able
During install, did you use the partition editor to set the ntfs
partition with a mount point ?
Reason I ask is that I did, but anaconda didn't make a mount line in
fstab for it.
It worked fine after I copied the line from /etc/fstab that F8 used {ie
with a GUID= value}.

> to see these partitions listed in the places menu in gnome, i am not
> able to mount it. I clicked on one of the partitions and it asked me
> for a password and i did enter it and after that even when i click on
> the partitions i dont get to see them. I faced the same issue when i
> installed PackageKit from the utopia repository in Fedora 8. Is it
> because of  a problem with HAL ? Curious to know whether anyone has
> faced it ?

It didn't occur for me in F8, F9beta, or rawhide over the past 2x months.

There was a time when my NTFS os started to start, and I hard powered
off. This left the NTFS in an inconsistent state. There are some ntfsX
tools that can examine the structure. I used the NTFS's winos to perform
the disk check / fix and then it was OK.

DaveT.