Which ext2 mount daemon on XP runs well?

Reik Red reikred at gmail.com
Sat May 17 01:48:29 UTC 2008

Some more details about how symlinks behave are attached below.
Robert, I tried ext2ifs but it did not "automount" my USB drive partitions.
Perhaps I should have used cygwin mount,.exe and mounted by hand.

Reik

ext2fsd and ext2 volume manager problems on Windows XP,
cygwin example.

Problem with symlinks that ext2fsd tries to follow them and fails if the
link target does not exist.  In general there also seems to be the
behavior of chasing symlinks, possibly into infinite loops, when it
should not.

Seems like ext2fsd does not know the difference between wanting to look
at the link itself and to follow the link. It does not behave as linux
does.

% 451 > pwd
/cygdrive/e/home/reik
% 452 > ls -l bin
ls: cannot access bin/tardiff: No such file or directory

% 453 > ls -l ~/bin/tar #[hit Control-D to get filename completion here,
this works]
tar2tape*     tardiff       tarhome*
% 453 > ls -l ~/bin/tardiff  #[so filename completion worked, but ls -l
will not work
ls: cannot access /cygdrive/e/home/reik/bin/tardiff: No such file or
directory

#Additionally, you can cat a symlink but you cannot "more" it (cygwin):
% 480 > pwd
/cygdrive/e/home/reik/DOCS/xp
% 481 > ln -s ext3 ext2
% 482 > more ext2
Cannot access file E:\home\reik\DOCS\xp\ext2
% 483 > cat ext2
(works)
% 483 >