adobe pdf plugin and firefox -2.0.0.14

François Patte francois.patte at math-info.univ-paris5.fr
Sat May 17 08:41:30 UTC 2008

Le 16.05.2008 11:37, Paulo Cavalcanti a écrit :

| On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 4:13 AM, François Patte
| <francois.patte at math-info.univ-paris5.fr
| <mailto:francois.patte at math-info.univ-paris5.fr>> wrote:

|     Bonjour,
|
|     I update my f8 system and firefox version is now -2.0.0.14
|     <http://2.0.0.14>.
|
|     the adobe plugin nppdf.so for pdf seems to no longer work with this
|     version....
|
|     Am I right?

| Well, it does, but I also have this problem:
|
| http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.3c05a62b

Usefull link to understand.... but some explanations are missing for me:

following the link I discovered the /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins-wrapped
dirctory and the plugins inside; mostly they are symlinks, except

nswrapper_32_32.libflashplayer.so

and

nswrapper_32_32.nppdf.so

How these plugins are created? because they have wrong permissions: 600
so only root can use them! The group also is strange: it is a group
which some user belongs to.... I don't know why this one and not another!

As for the problem you asked, I have the same but no solutions given in
the adobe forum work for me.

The suggestion to install redhat-lsb did not solve the problem, the only
difference is that now when I hear my cpu fan going to fast, I use top
and the name of the culprit has move from "ld-linux.so.2" to "acroread".

As for this solution:

1. Start firefox.
2. Go to /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins-wrapped
3. chmod 0 nswrapper_32_32.nppdf.so
4. chattr +i nswrapper_32_32.nppdf.so

It does not work at all: plugin nppdf.so in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins is
not detected

- --
François Patte
UFR de mathématiques et informatique