FC9 - sounds of silence

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sat May 17 12:51:30 UTC 2008

I did an upgrade from FC9beta to the release version, and everything
worked fine until I tried to play a clip from CNN. Then I tried youtube,
mlb.com, no sound anywhere, even though sound had been working. Appears
that pulseaudio has decided to take over sound and not let me use it.

Finally backed up and did and install from cold, sound worked, did the
updates from the fedora and updates repositories, sound worked but no
flash, added flash from the adobe site, clips play as silent movies.

Looked for the pulseaudio docs, and decided people haven't improved them
since FC6, no hint of what to change, tons of other "no sound" posts on
various places.

Many other problems, reinstalled FC8, all working again. And I briefly
had ubuntu on the machine and that worked, so the issues seem to be with
the FC9 release, no just Linux on this hardware.

My feeling is that if I wanted an OS which insisted on doing things the
way the developer wanted, with docs which didn't cover the basics and
had only examples of the most complex cases rather than the things 90%
of users would want, I would be running Windows.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>