Tips & Tricks re: prep for F9

William Case billlinux at rogers.com
Sat May 17 13:58:11 UTC 2008

Hi;

I am looking for tips, tricks or professional type advice for cleaning
the cruft out of my /home partition.  /home is set up on a separate
partition which has resulted in a buildup of unused and
unneeded .folders ('dot'FOLDER) in my /home directory as a result of
Fedora version changes and/or re-installs and trying out different
programs at various times.

I have been using Linux and Fedora long enough to clean up by using an
ad hoc, trial and error, click and try, process to eliminate the waste.
However, I thought maybe someone on the list could suggest a more
efficient, a more professional, way of going about it.

The questions are:
1) How can I create a readable list of which programs or packages are
currently on my system?  yum --list or rpm -qa give long lists that are
not easily comparable to my /home/.folders.  Most of the items listed
would not even have a corresponding .folder.  Keep in mind that many
different program files are buried in /home/.gnome2 etc.
2) I am reluctant to use rpm -e or yum remove and thereby ending up in
dependency Hell.
3) Is there a way to flag unneeded folders for later 'rm' removal?
4) Would grep for 'last used' or 'last modified' dates help?
5) I am trying to figure out a method that after I get it working, I
could turn it into a bash script for future use. ??
6) In particular, I have a /home/.dbus folder that does not look like it
belongs in my home directory i.e :
]# ls -al ~/.dbus/session-bus
-rw-rw-r-- 1 root root  467 2008-05-16 22:12
805b33200b6b78247ea69400481e1100-0  -- Should/can I remove it?  Or,
should I chown? Man or Info seem silent on its use.

Any additional warnings (I have backed up), tips or advice on how to go
about this properly?

--
Regards Bill
Fedora 8, Gnome 2.20.3,