Problem with NV driver and Fedora 9

Daniel Auger daniel.auger at gmail.com
Sun May 18 17:34:37 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I'm well aware of the whole situation regarding xorg and official
Nvidia drivers. My current problem lies with the "nv" driver that is
the preferred open source nvidia driver for Fedora. I had to install
using the resolution=1680x1050 argument with anaconda, otherwise I'd
just get a blank screen. After install I can make it to the first boot
screen where it asks to set up the time etc... but after I click next
on the smolt page, I get a blank screen (I'm assuming this is when
it's firing up GDM).

To work around this, I booted the recovery console and switched the
driver in xorg.conf from "nv" to "vesa". The vesa driver allows me to
boot into Fedora and go about my business, but it is painfully slow
when trying to watch video, so I'd like to get the nv driver working
if at all possible.

I believe that I am getting the "out of sync" error that so many
people have been complaining about, however my monitor doesn't
explicitly complain. Rather it just goes blank. My current setup
worked great in F8.

Here is my current xorg.conf:

# Xorg configuration created by system-config-display

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier     "single head configuration"
	Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# keyboard added by rhpxl
	Identifier  "Keyboard0"
	Driver      "kbd"
	Option	    "XkbModel" "pc105"
	Option	    "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier   "Monitor0"
	ModelName    "Samsung SyncMaster 226BW (Digital)"
	HorizSync    30.0 - 81.0
	VertRefresh  56.0 - 75.0
	Option	    "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier  "Videocard0"
	Driver      "vesa"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier "Screen0"
	Device     "Videocard0"
	Monitor    "Monitor0"
	DefaultDepth     24
	SubSection "Display"
		Viewport   0 0
		Depth     24
		Modes    "1680x1050" "1600x1024" "1440x900" "1400x1050" "1360x768"
"1280x1024" "1280x960" "1152x864" "1024x768" "832x624" "800x600"
"720x400" "640x480"
	EndSubSection
EndSection

My hardware is as follows:
ASUS p5k MB
4 GB ram
Intel Core Duo 3ghz
EVGA nvidia 8800 GTS video card
Samsung SyncMaster 226BBW

For what it's worth, I tried the generic LCD profile in the display
app in gnome and that didn't fix anything.. I also tried setting my
card to nvidia in that app as well, but that just recreates the
problem.