Bug in Openssh ??

max maximilianbianco at gmail.com
Sun May 18 18:21:23 UTC 2008

Jim wrote:
> When trying to send a file from  172.16.1.37:/home/mickey    to
> 172.16.1.33:/home/jim
>
> scp george.txt 172.16.1.33:/home/jim
>
> It ask for password,  " mickey at 172.16.1.33's password:"   ( the problem
> is, it should be asking for  jim at 172.16.1.33 password )

But Jim is not trying to access Jim, mickey is....why should mickey have
access to jim?The computer cannot know that they are the same person and
it checks to see if mickey has an account, he doesn't so it fails but if
he did I suspect then permissions would be checked to see if mickey has
permission to access Jim, if he does fine, if not denied.
> Well "mickey" is not at 172.16.1.33  "jim" is  and if I type in "jim"
> password it fails, The users mickey, jim have the same passwords on both
> computers.
The same password but the accounts are different. It should fail and it
does, this isn't a bug in my opinion.
Even if the other account is named jim and jim is accessing jim then it
should fail because the accounts, even with the same name are unique
unless you have something going with directory services but then likely
you wouldn't run into this problem, you'd have one logon across your
domain but you'd still need permissions to write to a particular
directory on a machine or membership in a group that gives you those
permissions.

Max

--
On the eighth day he said "There shall be no rest for the weary."

On the ninth day he farted, and it smelled like sulphur.