cpu throttling

Les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Sun May 18 21:39:44 UTC 2008

Hi, everyone...
I am on Fedora 8.  I hope to go to F9, but think after watching the
mail, I will wait a bit.  You all know I'm not astute on this stuff yet.

	My question is probably a stupid one.... I have a rather old, but well
performing Pentium system with dual processors.  Single chip type.  I
got the CPU throttling messages, and believed them.  I took the system
apart, cleaned the heatsinks and fans, relubed the interconnect and
reassembled everything.  Messages gone, no problem.  But then I thought
how would I monitor this as the local temps went into the 90's and we
don't have AC (this only happens a couple of days a year here in San
Juan Capistrano).  So I brought up the CPU speed monitor and the CPU
temp monitor.  But the speed monitors said that the board lacked
throttling capability.  NOW this is a connundrum.  How did I get the
throttling messages if no throttling is available, and how does the
monitoring code know the current speed of 2.99Ghz?

Regards,
Les H