FC2 -> F7 via yum

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Mon May 19 00:37:11 UTC 2008

Trever L. Adams wrote:
> I am half way around the world from a not-for-profit organizations
> server which I help maintain. For too many reasons to list, we could not
> install from media and had to do an upgrade via yum. Everything is
> working fine, except, the system was using Lilo and now uses Grub.
> Additionally, the drive renaming of everything (ATA and SCSI) to sd$
> leaves us without being able to reboot.
>
> The drive setup follows (FC2):
> /dev/hda3             /
> /dev/hda1                /boot
> /dev/hdc1             /extra
> /dev/sdb1            /AAA
> /dev/sda1             /BBB
>
> It appears that ATA is initialized before the SCSI on this system
> (2.6.12). Therefore, I think the mapping would be:
>
> hda - > sda
> hdb (cdrom?) - > sdb
> hdc -> sdc
> sda -> sdd
> sdb -> sde
>
> Is this accurate? Is there a way to use labels so I can be certain grub
> and fstab are correct?
>

> Thank you for any help.
>
> Trever Adams
>
> P.S. Am I even having to do this, does 2.6.23 (in F7) have this
> remapping requirement? It has been a while since I used it locally.

Grub uses the BIOS mapping, so the BIOS boot drive will be hd0 for
Grub. As far as the drive mapping, the CD-ROM will not have show up
as a SCSI hard drive. It will show up as a SCSI CD-ROM drive. (scd0)

You can use partition labels in /etc/fstab, and in the kernel
command lines in grub.conf, but Grub itself does not understand them.

LABEL=/boot   /boot   ext3    defaults 1 2

Mikkel